Monday, October 22, 2012

Hey everyone making their way over here through the ICLW! Take some time to wander around and learn more about us on the "our journey" page at the top.

We're not actively doing anything towards bringing our children into our lives. We saw a reproductive endocrinologist in July who said I had superb ovaries and seemed equally as puzzled about why r + m isn't equaling a baby. We agreed the endometriosis has to be a factor and he suggested we do a few IUIs before moving onto IVF. After my laproscopy costing us over $7k that we'll be paying on for a while and a couple other random huge expenses we've had lately, it's not looking like we'll be at a point to afford any of that any time soon. I graduated nursing school in May, took my NCLEX in August, and still don't have my results thanks to some stupid juvenile offense from over a decade ago. There's really no timeline on how long it will take to get all that sorted out so for now, I'm stuck waiting tables and nannying, randomly taking on birth doula clients as possible and praying that it leaves us in the black at the end of the month. Since we can't document that we have $200 left over at the end of the month (and some months we don't), we can't pursue the foster/adopt route at the moment either. Sort of feels like most of our life is just put on hold for the foreseeable future. We've been filling our time with too much TV and not enough talking so that's why we've added in our weekly lunch hike which I'm hoping will help us feel more connected.

I taught a focus session at the state nursing students convention a few weeks ago on nurses and doulas. I planned for maybe 15 people to show up since it was an early slot that conflicted with some other really great sessions. You can imagine my shock when the entire room filled up with eager nursing students (and even a faculty member or two), ready to  hear me speak. I had such a great time doing it and felt so at ease, so at home in front of my "class" that I have really be doing a lot of serious thinking about the educational path I plan to take. My goal since before getting accepted into nursing school, has always been to become a nurse midwife and while that is still something I'm incredibly interested in, I feel like I have the possibility to make so much more change as a teacher. Being able to reach the minds of so many nursing students so close to when they go into practice seems like an amazing opportunity to get more nurses focused on giving evidenced based care and not just going along with protocol. We'll see where it all takes me, and I may just end up with a DNP or DMP anyway. I'll be in school forever. Matt is getting used to the idea. Especially if I'm willing to get a decent paying job and let him be a stay at home dad.

And on that note, I asked that crazy man how many kids would be his maximum number and his answer left me shocked! He said "well, do I get to be a stay at home dad?" and when I said yes, he said "seven." SEVEN! Seriously, seven kids?!?! I figured he'd lowball it and I'd work up to four. He is going to be such a great dad and hopefully we can figure out a way to make that happen very soon!

10 comments:

mommy someday said...

I can totally relate to the money issues! I feel like it never ends in my house!

Weaslewam said...

SEVEN KIDS! Yikes! Hopefully you can talk him down haha

It's so neat that you're going to be a doula!

ICLW #16

Team Harries said...

Hi from ICLW! 7 kids ;) wow!!! We are in a waiting period too!

thoughtprovokingmoments said...

7??? Geez, that's a team! ;)

Hi via ICLW.

Bree

Trisha said...

I hope you get your seven and a happy ending! Happy ICLW!

Lisa RM said...

It's good to hear you felt at home in front of class, and that you had a good turn out!

Liddy said...

Yeah for the awesome turnout! I hope you get your seven.

An ICLW Visit from #2
liddy @ the unfair struggle (mfi, speedskating, life)

Jamie said...

Happy ICLW! Best of luck on whichever venture finds it's way in to your path!

fromheretomotherhood said...

Visiting from ICLW! I hate feeling in limbo on this TTC journey and it's also very hard knowing that due to conditions out of your control, you have to wait longer or have no idea when it will work out. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you.

It's great that you enjoyed teaching. I think that mentoring others is so rewarding and in a profession such as nursing you're reaching so many people vicariously through your students' patients. I am a psychologist, so I know the rewards (and strains) of being in a helping profession. I also love helping people interested in the field of psychology or those who are already on their way to becoming psychologists.

Aspgriswold said...

Hello from ICLW! Awwww. This post made me smile. I love hearing about great dads-to-be. Awesome news about your class as well!!!

Post a Comment

People and Organizations I like

 
Copyright (c) 2010 for all that we hope for. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.