Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Beautiful views everywhere
It has been a crazy month so far. I left early last Tuesday morning to drive to Tulsa to catch a plane to Salt Lake City for the National Student Nurses Association national convention. We had a group of 6 students, a spouse, and two instructors. We used money from our local chapter to rent a house about 2.75 miles from the convention center and one of our instructors was nice enough to rent a van to get us back and forth. We raised a good bit of money while we were there and I had a great time being a delegate. I'm kind of a nerd for some parliamentary procedure. There was a great resolution put forth that would require an extra consent form for Pitocin (and it passed!) that I was really passionate about. It will now be sent on to multiple other higher up agencies (like the American Nurses Association). I went to about 500 different booths in the Exhibit Hall where I talked to countless numbers of hospitals, schools, and study agencies around the country. I got probably 75 different kinds of pens, a few penlights, a few free water bottles, two t-shirts, 4 bags, and more paper and journals than I've even unpacked yet. There were lots of  really long days but it was so very worth it. Nothing fights nursing school burn out like being surrounded by some amazing people who fill you with inspiration and faith in the future. I also found out that my doula experience counts as pertinent experience for immediate application to Frontier School of Midwifery (one of the schools with a booth in the exhibit hall) as soon as I graduate! I am already super pumped for state convention this fall (in my current town!) where I will be running for a state board position as district two director. I am pretty sure that every single Arkansas person at national convention knows who I am now and what position I will be running for. Next year, I am in charge of getting every one to nationals and I'm already starting to look for places for us to stay in Phili, though it will be hard to top the house we rented in Salt Lake. It was built in the 1930s and had been restored beautifully. Two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs, and then a totally refinished basement with a huge tv, a wii, a pull out couch, a separate bedroom with a full size bed, and then one more bedroom with a full size bed and bunk beds. The bathroom down there was really nice too with heated floors even. There was a beautiful view of mountains all around no matter which direction you looked (and even though it was really in downtown.) It also had a hot tub out back which we
From our front porch
The model of the temple
enjoyed one night while it snowed. Earlier that evening, once the first part of the resolution hearings closed, we got to go explore Temple Square. It was snowing pretty heavily and I had on Toms so I was slipping and sliding everywhere (with wet feet.) We got a very thorough history of the Mormons from some girls there doing mission work. The Temple was gorgeous and I loved the model of the inside of it (though I still don't understand the room in the basement with the cows.) I definitely learned a ton though while I was there. We also got to watch the Tabernacle choir practice for free and it was beautiful but gave me flashbacks to having to sing the same part of a song five times in a row. I slipped and fell in the snow outside the Tabernacle, busting my knee into the sidewalk and letting slip an obscenity. Everyone gave me a hard time about it, all in good fun.



Loved this lady from the ACNM

I got to sit in on a session on today's nurse midwife with a wonderful woman from the American College of Nurse Midwives as well as one called "Why getting a PhD in nursing is fun! Changing clinical outcomes for high risk mothers and babies" which was amazing. I left entirely inspired and so ready to be in school for the next 7 or 8 years! I found out about how they do oral care for NICU babies with colostrum and cried as I watched a baby who spent 45 days on ECMO and wasn't expected to live be put to the breast for the very first time. The pure emotion in that video gives me goosebumps to think about. I loved every single second of it.

I finally got back into town around 10:30pm on Saturday after two really turbulent flights. The one from Salt Lake to Denver was insane. I might have slept through it had my butt not left the seat (and had the idiot girls in front of me not squealed and screamed.) I get sick when I fly on the most calm of flights so I was feeling pretty green when we got off the plane. I passed out on the couch not long after getting home that night and then worked at Dixie on Sunday. As soon as I got off work I had to go meet with my group for a school assignment and then come home and work on my clinical paperwork that I didn't have time to even look at this past week.

Then it was straight back into clinicals yesterday evening for a full night of hands on learning. I have a teaching project this morning where we go teach memory boosting techniques to a group of older adults at an assisted living place followed by a simulation lab about same day surgery. Then I get a quick break to run home and change clothes since I have an interview at 4:30 for a student nurse internship at the hospital where I have my clinicals this semester. I really, really, really want the job (mostly just to be able to put it on my resume so I can be one of those who gets hired before graduation.) I'm generally really good at interviews but I'm worried about the competition from my classmates.

As for my stupid lady parts, it was a no go this month. Day 2 today. Not quite as depressed and angry as I was yesterday or when I started spotting Sunday. I guess it did regulate my cycle. I don't know when the last time was that I had a 29 day cycle. That in itself almost makes me want to go pick up my refill. These next 6 months would all make incredibly inconvenient babies but like I've said before, I just don't think we'll get pregnant with Clomid so part of me just wants to do the two more rounds that the Dr. wants to do so that I can get my referral to an RE (reproductive endocrinologist- for all my non-ttc friends.) I was so upset and angry Sunday night. I said that I never wanted to try Clomid again. I said that it was just a waste of time and increases hope in months that always end the same way. It was a really crappy night. Things were better yesterday and today feels even less heavy so who knows.

Wish me luck with my interview today and with the pharmacological decision I must make today as well.

1 comments:

Marissa said...

LMAO a the cows in the basement. Temple Square can be a hoot. I'm not Mormon, so I love showing people the talking Jesus in the visitor's center (the light up map is fun too!) and whatever movie they've got playing is usually awesome too.

But the Temple itself is lovely, as is the Tabernacle. The lights at Christmas are amazing.

Glad you enjoyed my town. :)

Post a Comment

People and Organizations I like

 
Copyright (c) 2010 for all that we hope for. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.